Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Random Tuesday Thoughts

randomtuesday

I have been awake more than asleep, though now I feel more asleep than awake.  I started this post while waiting to hear about my place of work and whether it suffered damage in the storms last night.  Well, it did and it's in pretty bad shape.  We were in the basement for about 30 minutes ourselves, but we squeaked right between the worst of it.

Tooth fairy finally got a tooth.  Willa lost the top one now.  This time she placed it in a juice glass and it was much easier for the fairy to get to.

My staycation was not long enough.  In fact, I'd rather it was permanent.  With my children, I spent last week doing some to all of these things: getting my hair colored, getting in a doctor's appointment, stopping at the library, playing on the computer, going to the pool, traveling to meet and play with new friends, picking strawberries, losing teeth, throwing water balloons and using water guns, riding bikes to get ice cream, watching the half marathoners and cheering them on, checking out the farmer's market, going to a post marathon party, planning my 40th birthday (not until next year, but hey), letting the dads play D&D with sons while painting toenails with the girls, hauling kids to parties, having dinner with friends, finishing up a query letter, batting book ideas around, and staying up to 1 am (I am still on my staycation time, which is harsh considering I have to get up early now for work).

Happy belated Father's Day to all the dads.  Mr. Wild played D&D with his son and his friend and his son.  They seemed to enjoy it.  Andrew was just happy to spend more time with boys.  I guess Willa and I were just too much girl time.

Now, I am a sometimes historic clothing historian.  Which can make it difficult for me to watch "period" movies.  Because, invariably, the costume designer takes a lot of "artistic license" with historic clothing.  Marie Antoinette was one that was a terrible violator.  The Other Boleyn Girl had promise, but in the end, I was sorely disappointed.  However, I have found a film that impressed me with its clothing.  So much so, that I did not have to even think about it, or spend half my time thinking "he wouldn't wear that, she wouldn't wear that" and could actually enjoy the movie and plot line.  Which, usually, if I find the clothes so totally wrong for the time period, I can't enjoy the movie.  The movie was The Young Victoria.  It was well acted and interesting and great historical clothing.  I felt it was too short.  I would have liked to have seen more of her early married life with her husband, Albert, but it ended way too soon.

Ok, that's all I've got, especially now that I'm trying to function on 4 hours of sleep.  I will try to catch a nap here and try to avoid a headache.  Until then, go random!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Who knew we had historical costuming in common?

I have a degree in theater, so my standards probably lean towards artistic license. I hope you won't hold that against me ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm in the process of working very hard on my staycation. Catching up takes forever.

tulpen said...

All I ever get are Staycations.

Your kid's name is Willa? So jealous. That was at the top of my list for my daughter and Hubs wouldn't have it. My favorite name ever. seriously.