Saturday, October 25, 2008

I love my kids

Well, yes, no surprise. I really should, shouldn't I?

I just absolutely love what they come up with, too.

This morning, as I was getting ready for work, I come out of my bedroom to find them, what else? Sword-fighting. Of course, it was with wooden swords, and my dear daughter managed to have the short sword and the shield and my son had the longer sword.

They weren't pounding on each other. It was more strategic. My son was being nice and giving his sister a chance to glance the blows away from her. Just briefly, I stepped in to help her use the shield for more than decoration. I showed her how to hold up the shield to stop his sword, then lower it to take a swipe at him.

So then, I returned to the bathroom to dry my hair. When I came out her brother was shouting, "Wow, she's getting really good at this!" And apparently she was, blocking with the shield, thrusting when he stepped back. He was being a good sport about giving her a fighting chance.

Fortunately, before I left, nobody got major bruises or injuries, nor did it melt down into a whiny, crying, complaining session.

Which is why I think I love my kids. It is so wonderful to see them playing together at something they are both enjoying.

It reminds me of Princess Alice and Prince Max in this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0794508987.
They played at being knights and seemed to get along as brother and sister.

It's so nice.

No comments: